The Secretary of Defense today announced that women will now have a front-line role in combat.
Here’s why this is such a bad idea that virtually every society everywhere in the world throughout history has used only males as warriors:
- War is an existential conflict. Nations that lose wars stand to lose everything.
- In war, therefore, a society’s highest priority is to protect that which is essential to its continued existence as a distinct nation or people.
- If a people loses the ability to renew itself by having children, all is lost.
- The limiting factor that determines any population’s fertility is the number of women of childbearing age. This does not apply to men. In principle, you could kill off all but a handful of a nation’s males, and in a generation or two you could still be back where you started.
- Therefore, in just about every society, throughout history and everywhere on Earth, male warriors have fought to protect their most precious resource, the one resource above all that is absolutely essential to the survival of their people: their women. (They will continue to do this, of course; now, though, they’ll busy protecting what should instead have been other men fighting next to them.)
It’s that simple. I don’t even need to bring up women’s disadvantage in hand-to-hand combat, the certainty that they will be raped if captured, their lack of physical strength, the sexual tension that exists in mixed units, the high incidence of pregnancy among females in the military, the erosion of traditional male cohesion among warriors, the distractions created by the need to “clean up” military life to make it a suitable “workplace” for women, the cost of providing separate accommodations, the fact that what is now being instituted as an accommodation for those few women who want to fight in combat will be forced on all women in the event of a draft, and so on.
But this is America 2.0. The military, like every other government agency, now is first and foremost a jobs, Diversity, and self-actualization program, in which everyone has a “right” to participate. What was once the military’s only reason for existing at all — to fight and kill our enemies as effectively as possible — is now way, way down the list. To acknowledge that there are fundamental, natural differences between men and women, and that these differences matter, would be to discriminate — and therefore would violate liberalism’s Prime Directive.
And so we have today’s announcement. It should surprise nobody.